Giving Something Back
It’s a good feeling knowing that you’re working for a company that cares. We’ve always been a responsible retailer who believes in providing safe, healthy and ethically sourced food. In the 1990s, we led the whole British food retailing industry in taking out artificial ingredients and additives from our products.
Today, it’s called corporate social responsibility, and it’s a part of everything we do. Here are just a few examples...
- We seek to put something back into our communities - improving high streets, creating jobs, building relationships with our customers and, not least, by helping to raise money for charities and good causes.
- We offer good value. The benchmark is better quality at the same price as a competitor, or similar quality at a much lower price.
- We’re honest. All our brand products are clearly labelled with a full list of ingredients and nutritional information.
- We stick to a strict animal welfare policy, working with suppliers to make sure they work to the high standards of the Five Freedoms, as endorsed by the Farm Animal Welfare Council. We’re also a long-term supporter of the campaign to ban whaling.
- We value sustainability - for example, we have a Fish & Seafood Sustainability & Welfare Policy for our Iceland brand suppliers to address the issue of over-fishing.
- We respect the environment. In March 2010 we attained the Carbon Trust Standard after achieving a 15% reduction in our carbon emissions.
Find out much more, including what we’re currently doing with our chosen charities here.